Tuesday, June 17, 2008

the storm is coming?

Gay Californians can get married today. I must admit that the thought makes me somewhat nauseous.

Not because I'm anti-gay marriage. Partner and I have been together almost 13 years. Anyone that knows us knows about how many struggles we've been through simply because we couldn't get a marriage licence. Anyone that knows us knows we would marry in a heartbeat if we could.

Yet. I'm nauseous.

I look around and I see groups like the Westboro Baptist Church, the Promise Keepers, the Focus on the Family, Exodus International, and many others and I think "WOW!" all these groups lining up on the other side of the fence ready to attack me? [Really, US, but politics are personal.]

And I get nauseous.

I think I see what's coming. Court battle after court battle. Demonstration after demonstration, all over the news. Shouting, finger pointing, moralizing, much done in the name of God -- on both sides -- a sort of mini-crusade -- with plenty of casualties. The world will watch and think: "Didn't they learn anything the last time they denied people rights?" The shouts will ring out: "This is different! These aren't people! These are just fags! [yes Matthew, I still remember]. Burn them! Burn them! Crucify!

After many, many years in Washington D.C., I've been jaded to the point that all I see is the fight and know it's going to be a long one. How many paintings will there be of gay couples being turned away at church steps while holding marriage licenses? How many post-hoc amendments will crush gay families? There are more of them than there are of us. And, we don't exactly have friendly courts on our side. At least not yet.

Surely, that wouldn't happen in today's society? Got to go, my stomach hurts.

No comments: